Sunday, June 7, 2009

We begin again at commencement

I hadn't been to a high school commencement ceremony in 30 years, and that was my own.

So, when I attended by daughter Jillian's commencement at Mankato East last Thursday night, I had a hard time remembering just what these ceremonies were all about. It didn't take long to bring it back, but my high school graduation from St. Paul Washington was nowhere near the show that was put on by students, faculty and staff at East. (I'm sure the commencement at West was equally excellent)

A perfect June evening, temperatures in the 70s and a slight breeze made the evening perfect. I often think of things in storylines - comes with the business I'm in I guess. The storyline that night had more than a feel-good ending. I felt like I was in a Disney movie.

The "Pomp and Circumstance" was played by the East band. When they played another number, their senior members came from their places and played with them. Same for the East choir, an excellent group of kids with an excellent performance. You can tell these kids are enthusiastic about choir, that's a credit to their dedicated, and enthusiastic teacher Robin Hughes...Funny how enthusiastic teachers always seem to have enthusiastic students.

If this show's storyline was to highlight all the good that happens in high school, it hit all the right notes.

The student speeches by Rachel Knoblich and James Blaschko were top notch. As one of the administrators said, they're blown away by the eloquence of speech and thought by kids barely 18. I concur.

Of course, high school is easier for some kids than others. Some breeze through, others have to work really hard to get Cs. What's universal is the accomplishment. That was apparent as small groups of families shouted out cheers and applause as their students crossed the stage.

These cheers were not the kind you might hear at a football game. They had a depth of feeling that suggested the world is enthusiastically behind these graduates whatever life may throw at them. But it's also a cheer that reminds us these kids are the future, and we better be rooting for them, and remember our part.

I won't wait another 30 years to go to a high school commencement, even if I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment