Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Comics not always humorous

By Free Press Editor Joe Spear

Newspaper editors are easy targets when they change the comics.

So, for the last few days, I've fielded phonecalls and e-mails about our decision to change up our comic selection, replacing "For Better of For Worse" with a new comic called "Lola," and another called "Cul de Sac."

I'm visited by comic salesman once a year or so, and every once in a while one of them is a good enough salesman to give me enough courage do what needs to be done - change some content that some readers are emotionally attached to.

I replaced "For Better and For Worse" mostly because it was complete reruns going back to 20 years ago. There was no new material for at least a couple of years now. And as I run a "news"paper, I feel obligated to provide readers something new every once in a while.

I also reviewed the different demographics of our comics. We look at what comics appeal to what demographic. We have lots of comics that appeal to the family demographic, including "Zits" "Baby Blues" "Blondie" "Peanuts" "Between Friends," "Baldo" and "Red and Rover."

We have the comics that appeal to what I consider younger readers who don't mind a little spice or edginess in their comics. That would be "Dilbert," "Get Fuzzy," "Mother Goose and Grimm" and "Pearls Before Swine."

The new comic strip "Lola" is about the life of a woman in her late 70s who is living with her son and daughter-in-law. She's also a bit edgy. She reminds me of many a feisty older woman who have called me from time to time. She reminds me of the Irish mother from Montgomery who scolded me like a school boy, telling me I was going to tell her who ratted out her two fighting sons who made the news.

Anyway, I'm sure some will miss "For Better and For Worse," although she does have a Web site and it is interesting to know, in real life, the "For Better and For Worse" real life husband and wife are no longer together.

That had nothing with our decision, however.

I've learned the comic business is cutthroat with salesman often offering incredible deals if we will just dump one of their competitors' comics. It's a bit ironic that the business of comics is so serious. But I also know the business of changing up comics can be serious to readers.

All I can say is: lighten up. Try the new comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment